A word before you read

I am not really a poet and these are mere attempts to write poetry. I would conveniently call them free verse to escape criticism. I feel an urge to express an idea or a deep feeling or strong emotion or just describe a scene. The result is what you see.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Tuttu (Shireen)


This poem was composed after my first daughter was born. I remember vividly the day of her birth. What amazed me was that she didn't look like a newly born baby. She looked like a two week or three week old baby. She didn’t have the redness and wrinkles of the skin or undefined features of the face and the body of a newly born. She seemed fully formed. This could have been due to my wife receiving booster injections during pregnancy. And I can’t forget my first glimpse of her as my mother-in-law held her in her arms. Her eyes were wide open and she smiled at me. I know that as I say this, none of you is going to believe me. But it’s true and I couldn’t believe it myself. She was fondly called tuttu by everyone and as she was the first grandchild for both families she received all the affection she could get. I wrote this poem while I was in Munnar teaching. Munnar is lovely hill station in Kerala, India. I don't have a photo of her as a baby with me right now.

Tuttu, my own,
barging into my life,
your birth 
birthed me to fatherhood.
Startled, I sensed you –
an enigma of life.
Your body,
a tremor of tender life
a streak of energy.
And I smelt the world alive
in your wee body,
throbbing, trembling.

Can I ever forgot
your wonder-filled eyes
taking me in with the world
soon after your birth
and your innocent melting smile?

You are a many-faced god
like the ever changing evening sky.
Bliss-faced sleep,
focused awakened state,
energy, while hungry and at play,
craving contentment while suckling.

Your cute haunting smile
remains etched forever
in my self.
I can feel it flower
on the mountains below,
burn in the evening sky,
melt in the shadowy trees,
and gleam in my mind’s eye.

As I hold you in my hands
I shiver, for
you are a fragile flower
and you could wither.
In you, I sniff life and death
and the world’s pain.

O Tuttu, my sweet Tuttu,
may Life’s energy gush
through you 
undisturbed and whole. 






No comments:

Post a Comment